Stag/Stag Digest Archive

clutch problem need help

Hello fellow staggers

After driving my car for a couple of weeks I seem to be having a clutch
problem.  I have talked to my fellow bitish car nuts and they have no
answer.

I put a new clutch master, slave, lines, roller throwout bearing, and clutch
from Stag Specialties into my car when I switched it over to a 4 speed.  It
worked fine but after about 1000 miles I am having the following problems:

1) There are no problems shifting when the car is cold.

2) After I am driving it for a while the petal starts to get tighter and
will not go all the way to the floor and the shifting starts to get tighter
and tighter until it will not shift.  If I let the clutch pedal all the way
up and repump it nothing changes, but if I just let the pedal up a little
bit I hear a spinning sound and then the clutch pedal goes down to the floor
and it shifts nicely for a couple of shifts.  The condition is mostly in
first gear and especilly when I stop.  There is no prblem in highway driving
when I don't shift for a while.  It seems to be heat and usage related.

3) the other thing that happens is some tines when you first start the car
after its been sitting overnight or all day when you let the clutch out it
does not engage at the normal position of about a third of the way from the
floor nut at the top of the pedal release and when it does it pops and
chirps the tire.

4) I can shift into reverse when the car is cold with no prodlems, but once
the car has been driven and you try to shift into reverse the gears always
grind.  This happened since day one of the install.

Does anybody have any suggestions,  I an at my witts end.

P.S. - has anybody know of an inexpensive Rover engine and trans I can put
into my MGBGT,  since driving the stag I have the V8 bug.

Ralph Vrana
rvrana@domain.elided
Magenta 73 stag 4speed ac, 74MGBGT,62 Austin Healy 3000