Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Brake Fluids Dot 3,4,5 and Silicone

Hello All,
    Great Masters of Stag Knowledge, greetings:

This topic has been discussed many times before, but I can not locate
the previous postings comparing the characteristics of  the various
Brake Fluids Dot 3,4,5 and Silicone, their subjective "pedal feel",
performance over a wide range of driving, fade and moisture.  (I
understand that a Stag FAQ is in process on the Stag Digest site...the
sooner the better...How about a text search engine Richard?)
    One question that comes to mind:  Is Silicone Brake Fluid only Dot
5, or is it made for all the DOT specifications.
    In the USA, I have only found Silicone in DOT 5.  Also, there are
some new formulations sold as "synthetic" but a reading of ingredients
shows that they are baiscally the same stuff in standard brake fluids.

I know that the silicone fluids are less subject to attract moisture,
and having just honed four pitted and rusted hydraulic cylinders,  five
more to go, I am not about to put in the old standard ester based
moisture attracting fluid to rot out the work I have done.

Regards,
Glenn  Merrell

"Keep Your Stag Cool, Install a NEW Composite Cowl Today"
See it at the site below:
http://pw1.netcom.com/~gmerrel/stagcowl001.html
Triumph Stag Register USA VP
membership inquiry's to: