Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Alternate Engines

Thank you all for sharing info on Stag engine swaps.

One of Glenn's points is very well taken:  That an engine swap is not
likely to be cheaper than a rebuild of the original.  Unless the
original is totally wrecked.  Or, as in my case, a swap has already
occoured.

BUT:

1)  I have doubts about the long term. My Z engine is reputed to be
bullet-proof.

2)  Some of us have the requisite skill and tools to do a competent swap
on our own.  Others are like me, stiff necked!  I (mostly) enjoyed the
challenge, and have received (mostly) complements of the tidyness of my
work.  The V6 that I scrapped was installed, well shall we say a
dim-witted teenager would have done better.

AND:

I almost take exception to one of Glenn's points:  I first read it as
"if you want a RELIABLE car, buy a Lexus"  but of course Glenn said
maintenence free.  I own a Stag for it's attractive Italian styling, the
roominess in a convertable, and the fact that I don't want a Lexus (or
any other COMMON CAR!).

But my Stag is my only car, a daily driver in Los Angeles.  While it
doesn't sound like a Stag, it still looks like one!  Every day I educate
hundreds of Los Angelenos as to what a proper car should look like!  How
many Stag owners do you suppose cringe every time the turn the key?

Keep this beautiful car on the road!

Kevin Harrop
'73 Stag w/ Datsun Z engine and Maxima 4sp Auto
Los Angeles