Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Front Springs positioning.

 ----------
From: JOHN CLAYTON
To: Wood,Andrew; "Brian A.Tink"
Cc: 'STAG@SMTP <stag@domain.elided>'
Subject: Re: Front Springs positioning.
Date:  18 August 1998 23:43

The Haynes manual says the following in
Chapter 11, Section 4, Paragraph 13 for
refitting the FRONT road springs.

"Refit the roadwheel and when positioned
in the straight ahead position, grasp the road
spring and rotate it so as to bring its lower
extremity direct inboard. The reason for this
is to ensure that the spring bows out slightly
when loaded so preventing fouling on the
wheel arch."

<snip>

Thanks for putting this up. I brought my Haynes manual to work with me so
that I could type it in but you saved me the bother.
I have not quite got to that stage but I have reinstalled the strut
assemblies and tried, as an experiment, to move the springs last night but
could not.  I had of course removed the spring clamps as I did not think
they were needed once the strut was installed. Presumably the spring needs
to be compressed to allow enough movement for it to be turned relative to
the strut so I will need to put the spring clamps back.  Hopefully I will be
finishing the job of over the next couple of weeks and will let you know how
it goes.

Andrew Wood