Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Front wing replacement

Dombey, John R wrote:

> All,
>
> My beloved daughter just drove 'our' Stag into one of those posts that
> they use to protect pumps at gas stations.  I am impressed with the
> strength of said post - no discernable damage, just scuffed paint - but
> no with that of the Stag.  The bumper is folded back, and the wing is
> buckled a bit.  The ROM doesn't address removing and replacing the wing
> - how big a job is it?  I really haven't scoped it out yet, but I
> suspect it's welded in a bunch of places, like the wing on my wife's
> TR8?  (go ahead, ask me how I know...)  The car has scruffy paint, but
> was very straight until the other day - needless to say I'm a bit miffed
> about the whole thing.  Any advice or comments?

John,

Sorry to hear this tale and no doubt your daughter has been suitably
punished !

The front wing is spot welded on along the bonnet line, to the front top
panel (where you can't get to !), round the headlamp panel, to the front
apron, all round the wheelarch, along the sill and up the A post. Plus
some seam welds to the suspension turrets, the windscreen surround and
the A post gutter !

All in all unless the wing/inner wing is rotten anyway it's a git to get
off without damaging the panels that it is fixed to.

I am talking from experience after many hours of finding the spot welds
and drilling them out (blunting many a drill in the process).

So unless the insurance is paying or it's really bad I would be tempted
to pull out as much as you can and fill the rest !

Regards,

Dave.
--
	Dave Biggs