Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Fuel Smells ....

   As I recall, when I changed my tank, there are only the filler pipe,
supply line to the pump and a breather which passes through the
floor of the boot. I have to say that, when I got a similar strong
smell of petrol, it was as a result of rust on the floor of the tank
where it sits in the boot, and a pinhole had opened. As you may know,
Stags have a problem with condensation in the boot. I bought a
good secondhand tank from Win & Co. and generously painted it
with rust-inhibiting primer and black Smoothrite before installing
it,
 Stan Barnett.

On Wed, 29 Jul 1998 11:59:57 +0100 "Fereday, Chris"
<chris.fereday@domain.elided> wrote:
>Hello
>I've just put the soft top up for the first time, and am now
>experiencing strong petrol smells.
>I did not notice these with the hard top on.
>I've looked in the boot and there are a bewildering array of pipes and
>hoses.
>I've also looked in the Haynes manual and this has further confused the
>issue.
>Can anyone tell me how the fuel tank breather pipes and fuel pipes are
>supposed to run in the car?
>The car is a 1974 MKII Manual.
>
>Many Thanks
>Chris Fereday