Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Stag cylinder head studs or bolts

In a message dated 98-07-21 23:53:37 EDT, gmerrel@domain.elided writes:

>  With no
>  > technical engineering knowledge, I propose the following:
>  >         Replace the studs with bolts.

With studs you have the threads engaging the block threads in a static
position, the torquing occurring at the threads at the end of the stud.

With bolts you introduce the friction with the head and transfer the thread
movement to the threads in the block.

This increases the possibility of stripping the block threads versus the studs
limiting damage to a throwaway part (id: stud and nut).

A friend replaced the rocker arm studs with bolts and proceeded to strip the
head threads on his Spitfire.  Don't try to second guess the engineers...

Clark