Stag/Stag Digest Archive

RE: stag-digest V3 #168

Glen

Firstly congratulations on your purchase, hopefully the old girl won't
make you hate her too much in the first weeks of ownership. One thing
that I have learnt in my years of ownership is never to ignore any
engine noise but also and just as important, don't panic. Check the
simplest things first and work your way down a list.

The "clanking noise" could be caused by the viscous fan. With the engine
switched off grab the fan blades firmly and see if you can feel any
fore/aft movement. If you can the viscous bearing is shot and will
require replacement, mine did but not before my heart had stopped
beating for a considerable time. The noise this simple bearing made
sounded awful and I could feel the vibration through the transmission
tunnel.

Other causes could be power steering pump, alternator faults. Disconnect
the belts to see if the noise stops. If it doesn't change the chains,
tensioners and sprockets (if needed) immediately. Noisy chains mean
imminent failure and should not re treated with contempt.. they cost a
lot of money when they go...

I did my chains in a day, they are not particularly difficult to change
if you are a keen amateur mechanic and have a workshop manual to hand.

Secondly, blowing fuses.. Yikes sounds like you've got those Lucas
Electrics fitted, you obviously have a short. You can check fuse ratings
in either the workshop manual or Owners Handbook, do not fit an
overrated fuse as you are just asking for it to catch fire.. 35amp does
sound a bit high but I haven't checked. To try and resolve the issue you
will probably need a bucket full of fuses, start at the easy end. Unplug
the rear indicators. Does the fuse still blow, if so you will need
access to the inner wing areas at the front, unplugg side repeaters and
front indictors. Does it still blow? If so you will need to check
switches. Both indicator switch on column and also hazard warning lights
if you have them.

If after all this looks ok you are still blowing fuses you will have to
check the general condition of the wiring. Looking for a wire that is
stretched or has been chaffing against the bodywork..?

These problems are generally a bugger to solve.. good luck.

Regards

Richard Hudson
73 Auto White Stag