Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Stag Club Northeastern USA...an Idea...

Hello Clark and All USA Stag and Triumph owners, (other Triumph Owners, read on
for some ideas on coordinating transportation to shows, respond in your local
club)
    Clark, think you hit the nail on the head.  If  any club membership is not
going to care enough to do some local gatherings, at least at the regional Triumph
events, that is as good as it gets.  So first off, ALL Stag owners attending the
'98 VTR National Convention need to meet somewhere there to discuss a nationwide
Stag club, benefits, logistics of getting cars to/from events, meet each other,
yadda, yadda, yadda, whether you own other marques or not.

I am also a member of The Triumph Stag Club NE USA, thanks to Mike Coffey  running
my internet ad for the composite Radiator Cowl in the July 98 STAGNEWS.  I talked
to Mike Coffey a few weeks ago about expanding to some internet communications.
He was against it because running his own business 12 hours a day plus, he'd
rather not spend another 4 hours on the net answering questions.  Very
understandable, but not supportive of the membership on the internet, which is a
growning membership.  I'd also note that it seems that Mike is running the club
"stag", if you will pardon the pun, and planning events, gatherings, sponsorships,
newsletter, phone calls, mailings, transporting, unpacking , setting up and taking
down and packing and storing display stands can be quite laborous if one person is
attempting this effort.

Enter The Triumph Stag Registry, USA braindump:
So, what I propose is a little more proactive board, connected via the internet,
able to hold meetings via the internet using Microsoft Meeting.  And I propose
that the effort be spent developing the Triumph Stag Registry USA  My view is to
have a Stag Club that has benefits for its members, expanding on the Members
Travel Assistance Program with VTR, travel discounts, emergency parts locator
service of owners traveling in their Stag, and develop methods to get the members
and their cars to and from events around the country.  Like 99+ Stags to the 1999
VTR National Convention, 200+ Stags to the year 2000 convention.

    This type of club would exist as a subset or chapter of another US nationwide
club...like say...The VTR!  Maybe something like if you are a member of the VTR,
you are automatically a member of the subchapter car marque registry (Mayflower,
TR3, 4, 5, 250, 6, Herald, Stag, Spitfire/GT's, etc.). (Andy, are you listening
Propose this to the board at the VTR?)  This type of suborganization to the
national registry would tie marque owners together across the country not only for
commality for car marque, but parts, service, technical advice, social eventing,
coordination of transport to regional shows, travel discounts, etc.  The VTR board
is spread out across this country now, something like MS Meeting would allow board
meetings monthly.

GETTING THE CARS TO THE SHOWS:
    Now, for the logistics of getting cars to and from events.  How about car
carriers that would originate at opposite ends of the country  from the next
convention location.  Maybe two or three carriers start out cross country on a
designated route towards the convention making registered stops along the way.  At
the stops, another Stag  (or Triumph) is loaded onto the carrier by someone who is
now only driving 50-200+ miles as opposed to 2000-4000 miles.  Members then have
the option of meeting the carrier at the show on another mode of transport like
air/train/bus, or caravaning in a second car, maybe car/van  pooling with other
owner enthusiasts following the car carrier, stopping along the way for
sightseeing.  Along the way for caravaners, motel discounts are arranged.  A
coordination nightmare maybe, but with proper prior planning, I bet it could
easily work, specially with the board doing the arranging  on the internet with MS
Meeting.  It would only take one member in each Triumph club with a computer to
pull it off.  There are many car carrier services offering everything from air
conditioned  transport,  to catch all the bugs (on a tyvek car cover of course).
Car transport costs are split equally by the owners of the cars being transported,
maybe only two or three stops at central locations with the truck driver in
contact via his cellular phone to pick up stragglers late arrivals.  So, how many
owners out there with vans?
    For those wishing to drive the distance to the show... the club organizes
other owners doing the drive along your route.  Owners arrange meeting places,
cellular phone numbers are supplied for the gaggle, and a line of Triumph Stags
(or any other marque for that matter) arrives at the show at one time on parade.
Owners share experiences along the way, sight see, technical and mechanical
assistance, parts shared, etc.  Gaggles of other owners could join the smaller
gaggles.  Logistics of meeting places are distributed to all chapter VTR Clubs and
sub-marque group leaders.

Okay, I started this idea, how do we (we is collective..a group, gaggle, etc.)
pull it off for next year, with some test runs to regional shows inbetween?

Regards,
Glenn Merrell
Triumph Stag Registry USA VP
membership inquiry's to:
Mike Wattam <101714.1343@domain.elided>
member of the following clubs:
VTR , RMTC, TSR UK/USA,  TSCNEUSA,  SOC UK

"Keep Your Stag Cool, Install a NEW Composite Cowl Today"
See it at the site below:
http://pw1.netcom.com/~gmerrel/stagcowl001.html