Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Unleaded fuel

I, like I suspect many other Stag users, am considering whether or not
to go to the expense of converting my engine to run on unleaded. As the
Stag is my only car, I can't afford to take it off the road for the time
necessary to do the job myself, and the prices charged by reputable
companies (in the UK) for the conversion seem rather high. I've seen
many comments, by contributors to this list and others, to the effect
that Stags will run fine on unleaded (perhaps with a slight retardation
to the ignition timing). I have not yet heard any report of problems
with a Stag (although have with other Triumphs, specifically 2000/2500
with cast iron heads) resulting from the use of unleaded - so my current
hypothesis is that I don't (and won't) have a problem. However, I don't
want to be forced into doing a head job because of valve / seat
recession.

I'd like therefore to try to refute my hypothesis by asking whether any
subscriber to the list has either direct experience or reliable evidence
of problems arising from the use of unleaded. Use of car is 15,000 miles
/ year, rarely run over 3,500 rpm for long periods but used for trips of
100 miles plus at 3000 rpm in o/d top. I'm sure that others would be
interested in any replies.

Thanks in advance
--
Ian Soady