Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Stag engine Blue Stuff

Hello Bruce,
    If there is an excess of silicone sealer on all of the surfaces, it means that (1) the rebuilder most likely did not use new gaskets...that cost $50 for a whole engine set...or (2) that the mating surfaces were not trued parallel prior to assembly.  In general, blue gunk all over the engine is a sure sigh of shoddy workmanship.  There is no excuse for not taking the extra time to true the surfaces even with a wood block and 600 grit sandpaper.
    Now, if there is a faint blue line of silicone barely visible along the gasket surfaces, that usually indoicates a mechanic who knows how to use the stuff properly.
    Over abundance of gasket sealer goes the other way also, into the engine.  It balls up and the strings come loose, clogging passageways like your radiator and heater core, the fine water AND OIL passages in the engine.  Bearings won't pass the stuff, but it does a good job of restricting the oil flow to one.  uring a rebuild it is a good idea to blos out all the waterways and oil passages with compressed air.

Regards,
Glenn Merrell
"Keep Your Stag Cool, Install a NEW Composite Cowl Today"

See it at the site below:
http://pw1.netcom.com/~gmerrel/stagcowl001.html

Triumph Stag Registry USA VP
membership inquiry's to:
Mike Wattam <101714.1343@domain.elided>

Bruce wrote:

>If so, is there blue gasket sealer squeezing out form all the gasket
joints
>(if so, do not buy it)!

Although it's far too late for me now, I'm curious about this comment and
would
appreciate more information.

As near as my mechanic and I can figure, the PO of our Stag must have had a

case lot of this blue stuff hanging about. It seems that instead of buying
new
seals when he took something apart he re-used the old ones (even if
mangled)
and used liberal doses of this sealant to try to keep the vast majority of
the oil
inside the engine.