Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Tach

Hello All,

Mike Blaisdell wrote:

>  I am having a problem with my
> tachometer.  When the tach goes above 2000rpm, all of a sudden it drops to
> zero, then bounces back up.  While running at over 2000rpm and I put on the
> brakes, the tach goes to zero until I let of the brake, of the revs go below
> 2000rpm.  Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike Blaisdell
>
> 1973 Stag LE21602UBW
> 1973 Stag LE20300UBW

   I recommended changing out the voltage stabilizer in the back of the
instrument cluster.  I believe that your problem is either the voltage
stabilizer,  you have a short in the wiring somewhere connected to the brake
switch or brake lights, or your alternator is not properly charging.  If you
have a volt meter, set it on DC Volts, find 12 volts somewhere around the
instrument cluster on a "G" green wire or on Fuse 3-4, better on the back of the
tach, stomp the breaks and see if the voltage drops.  It will be one of the
above.  On the same circuit is the inertia cut-out and the fuel pump.  Go take a
look a the VTR STAGElecquery site at http://www.vtr.org/Stag/Stag-elec.html.

Regards,
Glenn Merrell
"Keep Your Stag Cool, Install a NEW Composite Cowl Today"

See it at the site below:
http://pw1.netcom.com/~gmerrel/stagcowl001.html