Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Windscreen stainless trim

Richard Hudson wrote:

> My mails don't seem to be getting through here is another try. Sorry if
> this is duplicated.
>
> My car has been without its' windscreen trim since I bought it, I now
> have decided that I would like it back in. the trim itself is in
> excellent condition after its five year storage in my shed, and the
> Windscreen rubber was brand new 5 years ago.
>
> What is the best way to install the stainless trim?
>
> I have seen the special tool that can be made in the Stag Repair Guide,
> before I go through the aggravation of making it, what chance do I stand
> if fitting the trim..?
>
> Has anybody got any useful tips of tricks?
>
> Do I take the screen out and fit the trim and then reinstall as a
> complete unit?
>
> Do I call out AutoGlass and get them to do it??
>
> Help!

This subject has been covered fairly extensively, have a look in the
archives.
However to summarise, it is easier to fit with the screen out. Fit the
rubber to the screen, the trim to the rubber and then put the whole lot
in the car. I made the gadget described in the ROM and it does work but
the corners can be tight. Also note that there seems to be two types of
trim, one has a narrower channel in the back and this one is
particularly difficult to fit without grinding the channel slightly
wider around the corners.

I don't think any Autoglass man in his right mind will touch it !

Good Luck,

Dave.
--
	Dave Biggs