Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Carb overflow and running condition

Hey guys I need some help!!

I finally got my stag started after an engine rebuild but I could not get it to run correctly.
I took it to the local British Car Repair Guy in Cleveland who said he has worked on stags.
He has had the car for three weeks and can't fix it.  I'm towing it out on Friday.

Here is the problem.
A)the fuel pump runs all the time bypassing the float valves' CAUSING HYDRAULIC LOCK IN THE PISTONS, not good now I have to change the oil too!
B)replaced the gross jets with regular needle valves, still bypasses the valves
C) the fuel pump looks like a standard SU fuel pump but I don't know if it is correct for a stag
I told the guy to check that the fuel pump was putting out 2.8lbs of pressure and that the float heights were correct.  What else could cause this problem?
D)  The guy now tells me that he put new plugs in the car and it ran fine for a while and started to miss after a half hour. He showed me a plug that looked like it was fuel fouled and tried to tell me that it was oil fouling.

Are there any fellow Stag people in the Cleveland area who can help me.  Give me an SU carb anyday, those I can fix!!!

Ralph Vrana
73 Magenta 4speed
Strongsville, Ohio