Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: RE: star cars

  Twenty odd years on it seems to be senseless vandalism
to destroy such cars, but, at the time they weren't nostalgic
collectors' pieces but everyday (albeit quality) vehicles. I
seem to remember adverse comment at the time about the
Lambo, which was the only expensive write-off (E Types
were only about £2,000 new) and the Studio issued a statement
to the effect that the car was purchased as a write-off from
an Italian breaker's yard and cosmetically restored for its
brief part in the film.
  As for the systematic destruction of current collector's cars,
I remember watching The Sweeney every week, hoping there
would be a Mk. 2 Jag. driven by one of the villains,  because if
there was you could bet your life that, near the end of the episode,
there would be a great car chase and the Jag. would be spectacularly
written off. Now I'd love to own a good 3.8 manual, but can't afford one!
  Can anyone recommend a good bodyshop in East Kent, as I
need to comprehensively restore my Stag's coachwork this year!!!
                                                                        Stan Barnett.

On Wed, 17 Jun 1998 14:33:03 +0100 Richard Hudson
<richard.hudson@domain.elided> wrote:
>Hi Ronald
>
>Thanks for the additional Info. All goes into the database..
>
>The cars in the Italian Job were sadly not mock ups.. The Ferrari that
>you mention was most probably the Lamborghini Miura. The Mafia
halted it
>with a JCB as it raced through a tunnel, The Lambo not the JCB. The
JCB
>then shovels the Miura over the wall at the side of the road and the
>camera sticks on it as it bounces all the way to the bottom of the
>ravine. Engine, interior, wheels the lot. What a crime.. The crew should
>have been locked up for life...
>
>Check out this URL, Autocar found the road
>http://www.sonnet.co.uk/seventony/rtt_ch.htm
><http://www.sonnet.co.uk/seventony/rtt_ch.htm>
>
>The other three cars DB5 convertible and two E-Types both series 1
(one
>FHC and one Roadster) were also real cars. The DB5 was definitely a
>write off as it met a similar fate as the Lambo but one of the badly
>mangled E-Types survives to this day it was the Roadster Reg 848
CRY
>(couldn't be more suitable). Believe it or not it was the very first
>E-Type to win a production car race back in 1961. (I think it's
>registration was 2 BBC then.) I believe the car is now restored and
>owned by Paul Skilleter, a well respected Jaguar Historian.
>
>Bearing the above in mind, I don't think the producer was too bothered
>about sending three Cooper S mini's to their unfortunate death..
>
>I love the film, but have to leave the room at the scene's of senseless
>destruction of those now "respected" works of art. As they say you
can't
>change what has happened..
>
>Regs
>
>Richard Hudson
>73 Auto White Stag
>E-Type series 1 1/2 FHC... maybe .. someday ahhhh

and
>Hazel , which
>	featured Nicholas Ball ( sob sob they trashed it with a garden
>fork, of all
>	things ).
>
>	I seem to remember shedding a tear or two at the Italian Job
>"when I were a
>	nipper" to see a Ferrari , a DB5, 2 E types and numerus Mini
>Coopers
>	written off.  I seem to remember my dad saying that they were
>only body
>	shells, oh to have one of them now !
>

>	----------
>	> From: Dave Biggs <D.Biggs@domain.elided>
>	> To: Stag Owners Club <stag@domain.elided>
>	> Subject: Re: star cars
>	> Date: Monday, 15 June 1998 22:25
>	>
>	> Richard Hudson wrote:
>	> >
>	> > Dear all
>	> >
>	> > With regard to Stags on the telly I recall that James Bond
>stole/drove
>	> > one, I think in Diamonds are Forever, where are you
now??
>Does anybody
>	> > remember the registration number it was definitely one of
>the
>	> > pre-production cars and H reg despite the movie being
>released in 1971.
>	> >
>	> > It was early in the film and I seem to recall the immortal
>Mr Connery,
>	> > pretending to be some baddy driving his car through
customs
>at Dover..
>	> > could be wrong any Bond fans out there.
>	> >
>	> > Anyone know of any other films / tv shows that featured
>stags.
>	>
>	> Yes it was Diamonds are Forever, right at the beginning. It
>was a
>	> `mustard' colour, H reg (probably RVC???H) and the sound
was
>dubbed over
>	> with what seemed like a Triumph Herald !
>	>
>	> There was a series on the telly in the UK a couple of years
>ago with a
>	> dark red stag but I can't remember the name ! (I think John
>Thaw was in
>	> it). A stag did appear once in Eastenders. Also there was
one
>blown up
>	> by Jeremy Beadle !
>	>
>	> Regards,
>	>
>	> Dave.
>	> --
>	> 	Dave Biggs
>	> 	Senior Design Engineer
>	> 	Fujitsu Telecommunications Europe Ltd,
>	> 	Birmingham Business Park,Solihull Parkway,
Birmingham,
>B37 7YU.
>	> 	mailto:D.Biggs@domain.elided  tel: 0121 717 6094  efax:
>0121 717 6014