Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Stag Composite Cowls

Hello Robert and All,

Robert Ducker wrote:

> I've sent off my order today. Thanks for all your efforts!

Thanks for the order,  I'll let the fabricator know to add one more.

    That makes ten off of the cowl sets so far!  Maybe I'll break even yet.
For those owners who have ordered, I pick up the US order of cowls on Monday
the 22nd of June, and they will mailed Priority US mail that week. Sorry for
the delay.

> By the way, I rebuilt my distributer ('73 Mark II) to UK advance
> specifications and realized a significant temp drop at highway speeds.
> Evidently I was getting too much total advance, which was not causing
> detonation, but was reducing engine efficiency somewhat at higher speed,
> light throttle conditions.
> I was using the US spec vacuum & advance mechanism with the retard port
> plugged and the advance going to the carb ported vacuum. This combination
> is evidently not a good match relative to the UK setup (or the original US
> spec setup, probably, but that setup is just too strange!).

Remember that when the Stag was imported to the US, we had leaded gas which
burned cooler than unleaded.  We also had higher octane available then.  In
order to compensate, timing was changed to get more performance when both the
octane and leaded vanished, and the US setup was intended to reduce
emissions.  So, your UK setup conversion makes perfect sence.  Sounds like the
UK owners may have less of a problem when leaded vanishes than thought, except
replacing the exhaust valves on older models.

Thanks again for the order!
Regards,
Glenn Merrell
"Keep Your Stag Cool, Install a NEW Composite Cowl Today"
http://pw1.netcom.com/~gmerrel/stagcowl001.html