Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Rear Engine Mounts

Dear all,

Had a good day on the Stag (or should I say under it.)

After replacing the oil pump with an uprated one the pressure seems fine now. While I was under the car I thoght I'd give it a general check and topped up the gearbox and Diff (both leak heavily).

I happened to notice something odd with the rear engine mount. There is a crossmember running underneath the rear of the gearbox, upon which sits the rear mounts themselves.

This crossmember was only secured by the two nut/studs on the offside. The near side was completly adrift!!, hanging down by about two inchs, infact, supported by the exhaust pipe!.

This is the explanation as to why I found it hard to stay in reverse gear for the last few days.

On examination it appears that the nuts were still on the studs but the holes in the crossmember are larger in diameter. On consulting the manual I see that there is some kind of Nylon bush arrangement here so I guess I need to get hold of some of these.

The nearside however, appears to have smaller holes in the crossmember, just clearance on the studs. Is this right?, Should both sides have bushes in or just one side?

Any help gratefully received.

David Kirk - Kingston Products Ltd
david@domain.elided