Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Head tightening sequence

I apologise if this has come up before but I couldn't find it in the
archives.

Head & inlet manifold fitting sequence:-

Is the sequence described in the ROM the best way of fitting heads and
inlet manifold ? ie. tighten l/h head, tighten inlet bolts to both heads
and then tighten r/h head.

Head bolt tightening sequence:-

ROM implies tighten all studs first(A-E) up to full torque and then all
bolts(F-J).
Triumph Engine Assembly and Training notes says to tighten progressively
in sequence A-J.

The latter sounds more conventional but is this correct ?

Also my heads have been skimmed by 12thou by me and maybe some more by
previous owners. The edge of the inlet valves when closed are just level
with the head surface. I have got the thicker head gaskets to put on but
thought that I would check whether they are the best ones to fit in the
circumstances (also to run on unleaded).

Thanks,

Dave.
--
	Dave Biggs