Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Oil Pumps - Uprated

Dear all, (and especially Mike Wattam & Tom Jell)

In answer to your queries;

1. Is it normal to get an 'o' ring with a new pump ?
No, it is supplied separate, part number 145861, or if buying the so-called
uprated oil pump the part number is 145861HD (for heavy duty?).  Poor show
of Rimmers to send the pump with no 'O' ring, even if not asked
specifically for it.

2. Are there different sizes of grooves in pumps (and hence 'o' rings) ?
Answer above

3. What is the (visible) difference between a standard and an uprated pump
?
No visible difference.  The clearances are supposed to be less so more oil
is pumped at higher possible pressure, but I have my doubts.  It does also
use the late type almost solid relief valve spring, but then so does the
'standard' pump nowadays.

Like you, mystified by alleged differences.

Mike Wattam
Triumph Stag Register