Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Brake Bleeding

Interesting point there; The other day I noticed my normally good brake
pedal was rapidly fading away. I would depress the pedal normally, and the
car would start to brake. Then, quite quickly the brakes would slacken off
and the pedal would sink right down to the carpet and the brakes would finally
come on properly a fraction of an inch away from maximum travel.

Rather alarmed at this, and in urgent need of getting the car back on the road
I set about obtaining a new master cylinder from Rimmers (special deal, 85UKP
plus vat). This would have taken a further day and since I am very close
to SOC spares in Kent I got a seal kit for 12UKP.

This is when I realized the full use of this list. About a year ago much was
made of the rotten job and peculiar circlip pliers required for reconning
a master cylinder. I heeded this advice and had it done by a local expert.
He said that the bores were very good, but that the seal nearest the servo
had hardened and was leaking back. I refitted and bled my new recon cylinder
and touch wood, the brakes seem to be firm again.

Having said that, the chap from SOC said that in only 50 percent of cases it
is satisfactory to recondition these cylinders, as the bores are often worn,
scored or rusty.

Even though my story is one of success, I would strongly recommend a brand
new Lockheed cylinder to anyone with the slightest suspicion. The labour
for reconditioning brought the price up to about 50 pounds, but had I been
able to obtain a brand new one straight away I would have forked out.

Does anyone have a four pot conversion with vented discs, and/or even the
rear disc conversion? Purists may scorn these but no car has ever existed
with brakes that are too good?!?!

Dave.