Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Oil Cap

Hi all
I thought things were going too well.
The horror lurking around the corner arrived, all my own work.
Filled up my car with some oil, en route, a rarely seen activity these days.
Rarely done, by me anyway. I usually do that in a spare moment at home.
So rare in fact I forgot to put back the filler cap.
I wondered why there was oil on my garage floor from last night. Also the
mixture seemed so weak this morning. Had to choke it when warm. Later
discovered missing oil cap on ledge above radiator. I don't know what damage
is done, how much sand got into the engine (Ouch). Hopefully none or any that
did got caught in the filter. Lost less than a quarter  pint of oil and I am
now slightly above max level line now. (Yes I had overfilled it a bit)  Oil
pressure still OK (Phew) I hope it stays that way but I hope any problems
would have shown up in 200 miles. Usually leaving this cap off means a wrecked
engine. I have seen a BMW engine and a Rover 800 engine destroyed through
this. Both these examples lost all their oil so at least that doesn't seem to
happen in a Stag.

Lessons - For me
Always check oil at home
Suspect oil cap missing as possible cause of sudden loss of tickover, almost
stalling, should this occur.
Buy that buzzer I was talking about that tells if you oil cap is missing!! (Do
I have second sight?)
Do you have any other ideas on how to remember to replace that cap?

Peter Howells
Zero Tax - Zero Lead - Hopefully not zero engine!!