Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Gas tank woes

Bruce,

       It sounds like repairing your old tank may be the best
alternative. It can be welded but make sure that it is thoroughly steam
cleaned inside first to make sure that there are no vapours left !
Usually there is just a small area on the bottom at the back that rusts
through.

The new tank needs to go back to East Coast Jaguar from what I've heard
!

Regards,

Dave.

-- Bruce A. Krobusek wrote:

> The Stag's gas tank decided to spring a leak last week, so I took it
> out and ordered a replacement from East Coast Jaguar. I received
> the new one, and then my troubles _really_ began!
>
> First, my original tank did not have a drain plug, although there is a hole
> in the trunk for one. Unfortunately, the drain plug in the new tank doesn't
> line up with the hole (it's off by about an inch). I guess I can drill a
> new
> hole for it (just what I want to do - put more holes in the car!) but then
> I'm
> faced with...
>
> Two, the top and bottom of the new tank are bulged severely. For all the
> world, it looks like someone pressure tested the tank with far too much
> pressure. On the original tank, putting a straight edge across the top of
> the tank, there's no more than 1/8 inch difference between the high and
> low parts of the tank. On the new tank, there's a good 1/2 to 3/4 inch
> difference. The problem? Even if I get the drain plug hole fixed, there's
> still too much bulge in the tank to let the trunk floor boards rest where
> they should. Instead, they will rest on the top of the tank and rattle
> about.
> (And look poorly too.) I'm also concerned that the bulge in the tank bottom
> will prevent the tank from being firmly bolted to it's four support points
> in
> the trunk.
>
> Any comments / suggestions / questions / commisserations welcome!

	Dave Biggs
	Senior Design Engineer
	Fujitsu Telecommunications Europe Ltd,
	Birmingham Business Park,Solihull Parkway, Birmingham, B37 7YU.
	mailto:D.Biggs@domain.elided  tel: 0121 717 6094  efax: 0121 717 6014