Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Mohair Top

Mike,

Very common problem, also very annoying indeed after fitting a new top!!

You have probably adjusted the bottom horseshoe towards the rear, to make
the soft top taut.  This changes the disposition of the 'scissors' and hey
presto, a cut.  My soft top is 25 years old (was) in good condition and I
did exactly that, followed by much wailing and gnashing of teeth.  As the
material is well, er, old, I am going to go for a new hood.  This will be
after I prise my wallet open so it may be a few years away yet.

I would sugest a 'woven' repair is the simple inexpensive way of dealing
with this, then find another way of tensioning the material.

If you go as far as a new hood, try South East Trimming, they are a bit
more expensive but the quality is spot-on and I don't know of an owner who
has been less than delighted with his handiwork.  Unfortunately phone
number only, +1795 522591 day, +1795 534450 evenings.  He is inclined to be
a bit 'short' in conversation, but don't be put off.

Mike Wattam