Stag/Stag Digest Archive

RE: Spax and Koni Rears -wot about the front

Yes, he's right but they last pretty well anyway, obvoiusly depending on
the type of roads and speeds but I would have thought under nromal main
road useage 40-50,000 mile would be achievable easily.

What I have omitted to mention so far is this.

If you stiffen the front end by strong shock absorbers, thus increasing
front roll stifness, you create understeer.

This can be neutralised by stiffening up the back as well.

The Stag naturally understeers fairly strongly, so the effects of these
changes should not be under-estimated.

Alternatively, external adjustable (Spax) rears on their own are tunable to
the conditions you want, and if stiff can create a bit of oversteer - given
that the Stag understeers a lot, you will only be reducing this tendency.

On my Stag I have standard fronts and adjustable Spax at the rear, it goes
round corners very well indeed and without drama with the rears fairly
stiff.

Hope this helps

Mike