Stag/Stag Digest Archive

steering

The tightness of the nut on the rack is critical.  The torque input to
overcome the friction and turn the pinion needs to be measured accurately
with a spring balance, this loading is very low and if you can feel the
tightness through the steering wheel it is definitley too tight.

This is critical because the rack tends to wear most at the centre point.
If the adjustment is right in the middle, the probability is it will be
dead tight on full lock, wihch means the steering will have no
self-centring at all, highly dangerous!

The procedures are described fully in the manual, if you don't have a copy
please let me know and I will e-mail the relevant bits to you.

If there is paly, it is likelyt obe one of the following;

worn rack as above
worn bush in 'remote' end of rack
worn inner balljoints (very popular!)
torque bar in steering rack broken
coupling UJ's from steering column worn out
worn/maladjusted thrust bearings in steering column
any loose bolts, nuts etc holding rack or steering column assembly

Mike Wattam
Trumph Stag Register