Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Auto Stag RPMs at 55 mph

Hello List,

This past weekend a fellow Stag owner lent me his 1971Stag (automatic) in
the hopes that I would get motivated to finish my 1973 Stag that has been
in restoration for the last 3 years. Actually, it was the first time that
I had ever driven a Stag for more than an around the block trip, and I
must say that it was very enjoyable, although VERY different from my TR6
or Herald.

My question is that while traveling in 3rd gear at 55 mph the car seemed
to be working very hard and was pushing just over 3500 rpm. This seemed
very high, given that the TR6 will travel at over 80 mph at the same rpm
when in top o/d.

Is this where all automatic Stags run? It would seem then that you would
be over 4000 rpm to travel at normal highway speeds? I have looked in the
books and can find no reference to normal rpm at 50, 60, or 70 mph and
would appreciate any input.

Thanks
Larry Miceli
'76 TR6
'73 Stag
'66 Herald

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]