Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: stag-digest V3 #84

In a message dated 08/03/98  09:25:52, you write:

<< Alloy wheel nuts torque >>

This is one I've always assumed and been advised to be an error in the manual.
Afterall to tighten an alloy nut onto a steel thread of this diameter must
surely damage the nut's thread. This is give or take twice as tight as the
cylinder head bolts/studs. I do have a friend who after purchasing a brand new
set of nuts tightened them as detailed and low and behold lost his nearside
rear.

I have always put wheels on cars with the old 12" or so wheel brace, tight to
hand then a light push with the foot. So far touching vast quantities of
mahogany I ain't lost one yet. This includes caravan wheels which apparently
come loose so often dealers won't take responsibility for tightening them !

My car has steel nuts on the wheels, a combination I would feel more suited to
such a critical application. You have to ask yourself why the Stag has gained
a reputation for throwing wheels, other cars don't have the same reputation
perhaps the alloy nut/high torque is to blame for this and as such all Stags
should be modified to prevent it.

Andy Maughan
'71 Stag
LD1500