Stag/Stag Digest Archive

For the power steering gurus

STEERING RACK LEAKS

To answer your queries;

No, pushing the steering about manually does not make the seals leak.

The leakage may be very slight, so the expelled fluid gathers in the
daiters over a long period of time, just waiting for you to go along and
disturb them.

Replacing the seals is an absolute 'pig' without the special tools - see
ROM.  But it is possible.  However, leakage usually occurs as a result of
dirt on the rack shaft itself causing the rack to get scored, so that
fitting new seals will only work for a short time.  It is a lot simpler (if
not an 'engineered' solution) to whack in some Wynns auto transmission
additive, this basically makes the oil seals soft so they seal once more.

I did this about 10 years ago on my Stag - hey presto, no problem!

Mike Wattam
Triumph Stag Register