Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Cylinder Head Gasket Compounds.

Luke Stevens wrote:

> >Hi All,
> >I'm changing both my head Gaskets this weekend and was wondering what the
> >general opinion was about using Gasket Compounds such as Blue Hilomar or Red
> >Hermatite etc.
> >
> >In the past I have always put head gaskets on dry but I guess the stag is an
> >exeptional case .
> >
> >Any experiences would be welcome.
> >
> >And before you think I'm being a bit ambitious I only rebuilt the engine 3000
> >miles ago had a slight water leak and my wife didn't notice the heater go
> >cold and carried on. I'll refrain from any sexist comments as I guess it was
> >all my fault.

Luke,

     I would recommend you use some sealing compound rather than none. I
have always used blue hylomar on many types of cars without problems.
The only car that I did 'dry' leaked oil (the Haynes manual said "don't
use any sealing compound" but later when I read the supplement in the
back it said "apply a smear of sealing compound by the push rod
gallery"!).

It is difficult to get an even coat but I heard a rumour that you can
buy it in spray can form ?

Make sure that you don't apply too much around the small oil way holes
because it may block them as it spreads out when you tighten the head
down.

Yes it is true that blue hylomar was made to Rolls Royce's
specification.

Regards,

Dave.

PS. Don't forget to put some Coppaslip on the studs before you
reassemble !

--
	Dave Biggs
	Senior Design Engineer