Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Front Suspension Question

The list has been quite for a couple of days so here is an
issue that has been bugging me for quite some time.

On Flat level ground with the car sat on its wheels & tyres
(note the spelling of "tyres") what type of gap do you have
between the inside edge of the front tyre and the bottom of
the spring ?

On my main car the top of the tyre is directly in horizontal
line with the bottom of the spring and I have about one half
inch between the inside of the tyre and bottom of the spring.
i.e. I can easily push my fingers between.

On the car I am rebuilding its very different, horizontally
the tyre top and spring line up, but there is next to no gap
between the tyre and spring, its the same on both sides. I
think that if I were to actually drive the car the tyre would
rub on the spring. Although when I jack up one side just enough
to lift the tyre off the ground it spins without rubbing.

I used the same wheels and tyres on both cars when I did this
test. The suspension assembly looks just fine camber caster toe
etc. all within spec. The one part which was not was the right
hand drag strut which I have replaced thanks to Lenny Seidman.

Alex
Alex Nixon

Triumph Stag 1973 US model - mine from '94 - daily driver
Triumph Stag 1971 UK model - mine from '83 - awaiting my return
Triumph Stag 1973 US model - under rebuild - anyone got an OD Gearbox ?
Range Rover  1990 US model - mine from '97 - what a toy

I Just keep trying to convince myself 1'm having fun,
and how lucky I am to have such a rewarding hobby...

A Brit who got lost , now in Atlanta Georgia USA