Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Wheel Paint

I am restoring my original alloy wheels and am wondering if anyone has
experience with repainting the blacked out sections  At this stage I have
completed the unpainted alloy sections by removing the yellowed 'clear'
lacquer with paint stripper, sanding out any marks using 1200 grit wet and
dry and finally polishing the alloy to a wonderful lustre.  What I need to
do now is strip the blacked out sections of the wheel and repaint it.  I
would like to use a spray can if I can find a good one as I think this will
give a better result than using a brush and I do not own a compressor.  I
have been told black exhaust manifold paint works well, but that standard
enamel peels off after a year or so.  Has anyone done this before and if so
what are the results using various paint types?   I would appreciate any
comments.

Guy Grunwald