Stag/Stag Digest Archive

RE: Steering Weight

Mike Wattam wrote:

> Interestingly enough, there has only ever been one ratio of
> rack ever fitted to the Stag, at 3 turns lock-to-lock, despite
> folk-lore to the contrary.  Early literature including the 1970
> manual says 4 turns lock to lock, but there is only one rack fitted,
> although with a change of part number because the layout of
> the rack-to-control valve pipe layout was changed at chassis
> LD24187 (RHD).  Myown Stag is 'early' type and has a '3 turns'
> rack on it, still original.  The only significant change made by Triumph
> was from 16" to 14.5" wheel commencing from chassis LD20,000.
> This makes a big difference both to 'feel' and comfort, while getting
> in and out is better.

Hello All,
        I'll agree that the rack may be possibly the same across all
models of
Stags, but there are clearly two types of Control Valves and Pinions;
one a Alford and Alder, the other an Adwest, supposedly interchangable.
By the drawing of the two units on 57.00.06 of the ROM, the pinions are
clearly different between the two, which I think might acount for a
different lock-to-lock turns between the two, or at least the different
control valves would possibly have different pressure and flow
adjustments, resulting in a different feel between the two.  It would be
interesting to compare the two side-by-side.

my hephalump!

Regards,
Glenn Merrell