Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: stag-digest V3 #45

ASMaughan wrote:

> In a message dated 04/01/98 11:30:57 GMT, you write:
>
> << Using the starter,
>  you only get about 7/8 of a rotation before it stops >>
>
> Do you risk bending the conrods with this, or are rods/piston assemblies
> deemed expendable verses a head ?

With two Stag engines disassembled like this, no bent rods.  I have not
done this on a TR3 though, and like Mike Moore points out, the starter
bendix might suffer more.

> I've (touch wood) always managed to do a mixture of double nutting, welding
> the nut on or careful wedging to remove heads, or at least raise them
> sufficiently to cut the offending studs.

Double nutting is fine if you have threads...or stud left, but I have
broken seveal studs off like that, flush with the head, and others had
no top threads left for a second nut.  The wedging I have seen done has
destroyed the straight flat of the head, usually around the water jacket
feed holes and had to be built up with welding.

> I generally increase fractionally the hole diameters and apply copaslip on the
> way back in. So far once off, I've never struggled with any a second time

Great practice, I'll do it too, and had planned on some never-seize.

Regards,
Glenn Merrell