Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: SPAM

PGAHOWELLS wrote:

> What is SPAM
> Is it the four or so per week emails i get with subject "Hello!", which I
> delete immediately because they contain an invitation to visit some raunchy
> web site.
> I get worse hassle through the letter box. Its paper and I have to dispose of
> it. Hitting the delete key is easy.
> I assume however that some people get deluged in the stuff. I read opnce that
> someone sent Bill Gates 10,000 Emails, for the fun of it. Is this what we're
> talking about?

Hello Peter,
	You got it, right on the money.  But when you look at the adverse
affect of e-mail SPAM, it slows down the overall Internet with useless
trash, and many times costs the receiver to look at it.  Most accounts
will allow you a limited amount of e-mail traffic in and out before
charging you an extra cost for sending and receiving e-mail.  Some
browsers, like AOL, you have to read the stuff first to find where it
came from before you can reject it.  Paper SPAM mail is easier to trash,
and its postage is paid for before you get it, so no cost in reading or
trashing, other than the amount of trees lost and your time!

Regards,
Glenn Merrell