Stag/Stag Digest Archive

RE:Pistons, Valves, Smith Gauges

Charles A. Dempsey wrote:

> Either way, I hope it gets sorted out. My Stag shucked its left timing
> chain when the previous and original owner was motoring down the
> interstate at about 65 MPH. I've got a bit of engine damage for sure.
> We're going to tackle some rust around the windscreen and then get to
> the engine. If anyone knows a source of pistons and valves please e-mail
> (I'm sure this has been discussed over and over).

Right there, on the Digest discussions.  Sorry to hear about the
chain...common problem.  I hope you added the engine sound of rattling
chains to your memory if that was the problem.

The Stag valves are the same as the TR7 and early Saab 99's, most of the
head recon shops have US sources for the guides, springs, valves and
seats in the US. Specs for the Stag engine are in most recon shops
global engine master spec book.  Pistons are another issue, as when you
tear down the motor, boring is always an option, thereby possibly larger
pistons.  Right off, HRS, Rimmers and Barratts in the UK stock them, and
a good US engine shop should show at least one US supplier.  Rings and
bearings are a different issue.  I have not yet found a US supplier for
them.  Make sure you check for bent rods.  Alternative source...Used
parts.

>I also need a source
> for the Smiths dual oil pressure and (water temp? I forget) gauge. I
> don't believe I can do without it.

XK's Unlimited in San Luis Obispo CA for the Smiths Gauges.  They have a
catalog, stocking New gauges. They also are gauge rebuilders.  (800)
544-7864.  The dual Water Temp 90-230 degrees F/Oil Presssure 0-100 Psi
Gauge is PN GD1301-15078C in Black face, $119.95 list.  Buy the black
bezel too, or ask about the Stag type chrome on black.  Some were all
black, some sere black/chrome.  They also have matched sending units for
the gauges.

Regards,
Glenn Merrell