Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: stag-digests, Krusty Problems

Richard Welty wrote:

> the RBL list is not maintained by me, actually, but by an independent group.
> the fact that netcom is on the RBL list actually placed me in a bit of a
> quandry; i believe strongly in the principles behind the RBL, but cutting
> off netcom cuts off a potentially large group of contributors. believe me,
> this isn't a stunt designed to get people to sign up with my services, which
> aren't the same sort of thing anyway.
>
> >       In defence of Richard, understandably, the lists are provided by solely
> >on Richard's good will, free of charge for now, but I seriously suspect
> >that there is a monitary motivation here in the long run.
>
> i'm insulted. implementation of the RBL has no monetary motivations of any sort.

Hello Richard,
	Sorry, my sincere apologies, I did not mean to give insult, just a
possible reasoning why you would cut off a large group of contributors
without any possible means of using the lists, or without providing any
solutions.  As I wrote in my post, I think you do a great job with the
lists, but I really think this will be the downfall of the digests,
considering that Netcom is what, #2 World Wide ISP to AOL/Compuserve
conglomerate?  All the ISP's provide relay capibility for e-mail.  It is
impractical to believe that filtering out major ISP's will solve the
problem in the long run.
	I know that the SPAMMING problem is huge, and it is particurarly bad
with AOL, which is my other account.  AOL, who also now owns Compuserve,
pays a lot of lip service to "eliminating" SPAM, but I still get 20-100
junk e-mails a day in my AOL account.  I have over 2000 addresses in my
block e-mail list, and they still get through.  I have been advocating
AOL changes for almost two years now on how they handle unsolicited
e-mail.  AOL itself admits it is a huge problem.  Sometimes the relay
thread of ISP relays is two or three pages long on AOL, with Netcom, I
get maybe one SPAM a day.  The worst yet is MSN.com.

Q.  Is there any way you can not filter out main ISP's and still provide
the quality service you have now?

Q.  Are there any solutions that digest subscribers can contribute  to
the digest if they are on the RBL (without cancelling possibly the only
account that provides them a local dial-up)

Q.  Are there solutions to the problem for those being cut off?

Again, My sincere apologies,
Glenn Merrell