Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: stag-digest V3 #38

Mike Wattam wrote:

> TUBULAR EXHAUSTS

> But they do make a noticeable difference to power, the engine runs smoother
> particularly at tickover and will go much more freely up to the red line.
> The exhaust note is smoother too, but it doesn't quite have that 'Stag'
> sound any more.  They do allow an engine which tends to overheat, to run
> slightly cooler.

> The bad news is that unfortunately the manifold quality is highly variable,
> some with misaligned cylinder head flanges which need packing, others with
> poor welds that break, and this applies particularly to the stainless steel
> ones which are less flexible than mild steel when they get hot.
>Also, as the curly bits go forward into where the alternator lives now,
>which means the alternator can only go in the same physical place as the
>aircon compressor, so you'll need to reconcile yourself to losing your
>aircon.  I have yet to see a set of brackets and wiring that didn't look
>VERY amateur.

Hello Mike and All,
	I bought a set of SS tubulars from Rimmers, although I have not
installed them yet.  I'm still in the process of pulling the block to
get balanced, etc.  Agreed, the alternator bracket is rather lacking
that professional touch, but a little grinding, bead blasting and
painted aluminum color will assist in its appearance.  I have yet to
take a serious look at the A/C bracket itself as a possible holder of
the misplaced alternator and a smaller rotary style A/C compressor.  The
tubular's flanges to the heads are quite stout, about 1/2 inch thick and
plane, and appear to line up nicely to my newly bead blasted
reconditioned heads.  I've checked all the welds on the tubes, they seem
adequate, not done using an inert gas though, but time will tell as to
how well they hold up.  Since the tubulars are a "period modification",
it should not be a major deduct for any concours judging, this is a for
fun driver anyway.
	The added power and obvious heat removing qualities will be welcomed in
the Colorado combination of spectacular winding mountain roads, long
straights, and summer climate.  Remember that US models are close to 25
hp less than the standard UK models, so with this setup and balanced
lower end, things should feel a little more normal.  I'd be a little
hesitant to drive one of these at over 100 MPH for any period of time
without a front spoiler, since lift at 100 MPH on the front is +80
pounds, and lift on the rear is +175 pounds, things might get a little
squirly in a cross wind!

Happy Holidays,
Glenn Merrell