Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Auto Fluid - and draughty door

AUOMATIC OIL
This really is a dog's breakfast.

There were two types of auto transmission fuid - one made for Ford and B-W
boxes, one for GM.  Traditionally, using the wrong fluid would make the
transmission go into melt-down, or so folk-lore has it.  So you gotta be
careful!  But wait a minute.................

Lets stay with Castrol lubricants only, for simplicity.

Castrol TQF is for B-W and Ford boxes, also Stag power assisted steering.

Castrol TQ Dexron II is for GM boxes and some PAS.

Castrol TQ Dexron III says it suits Ford, GM, B-W and most PAS.

This is only one make, and the situation is already complicated.

My conclusion is that if you are worried about the type of oil you are
planning to use, seek the advice of the relevant oil company, who always
have consumer affairs departments.  If in any doubt about what is pumping
your iron, drop it and try again, because a bucket of oil is a darned sight
cheaper than a bucket of money for a new lump of metal.

If you think you're confused, I had a VERY well-known motor manufacturer (2
initials) on the 'phone the other day asking just the same as you, and I
ain't no oil expert!

DOOR SEALING
That's a funny one!  My only guess is that you have all or some of the
membrane missing from the offside door, so there is a ready path for the
wind.  I ran my Stag round the block a few times but no sign of any air in
from either door - like you I have all the door hinge slots filled in
although everybody who sees this (e.g., Tony Hart) says I mustn't do this
as it makes the door rust internally.  25 years on ..................

Mike Wattam
Triumph Stag Register