Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Stag Engine Conversion

Hello Steve,
Steve Wall wrote:

> I need to here from anybody that has done a stag to TR-6 engine swap. I
> have read that it is not a very difficult one to do & you only have a
> few minor changes to make such as the exhaust, tach, & the motor mounts.
> For the most part I don't have any problem with these except the motor
> mounts. If someone has a drawing or a basic description of the changes I
> sure would like to have them. I am thinking about doing a swap after my
> new stag engine dropped one of the new valves I bought. Looks like it
> fractured the head right at the stem. It looks like a manf. defect. So I
> am looking a a possible new head. I have not had it dye checked yet but
> it is pretty battered. So I think the swap would be less expensive at
> this point. But I don't want to change or cut the orig. car so I can put
> it back  some day.

	I have heard of several 2.5 conversions, seen one, and one was to be to
a Stag here locally.  There are at least one or two on the Stag list.
Turns out that the shop that was doing the conversion could not get it
to fit properly and ran up a large repair bill in working the 2.5
engine, modifying the exhaust and mounts.  There was some sort of
fitting problems around the oil sump and bell housing.  End result was
that a friend of mine bought the car minus the 2.5 and is putting a fuel
injected 3.5 from a Rover SD-1.  From what I understand, the TR6 2.5 is
still sitting in the shop owners garage, fully worked for 150 bhp+.  The
original V8 engine was dissassembled, I bought it complete for dirt.
	If you have the 2.5 ready to install, I would agree that it might be
less cost to install it over the 3.0 Stag V8 repair.  But if the 2.5
needs any rebuild, I'd rebuild the V8.  There is a salvage yard in Ohio
that has some reconditioned heads for Stags for about $550 a set.  He
says he has two new ones on the shelf.  If you are interested, I will
look up the number.

Regards,
Glenn Merrell
'73 Mark II Stag