Stag/Stag Digest Archive

RE: Unleaded fuel

Hi all,

Just a comment on unleaded fuel.

I decided a month ago to use "premium unleaded" (97 RON) in my 2500TC with a fully reco'd engine which has done 20,000 Km. It has a vacuum operated upper cylinder lubricant dispenser fitted, no hardened valves or seats.

Had to set timing to 3 degrees BTDC to stop knocking. It initially ran well and have put two tanks of fuel through and done about 1000 Km. It started idling a little roughly last week.

I don't know which valves are supposed to be affected by the use of unleaded, (I thought it was exhaust valves). Checked it out last Sunday. Tappet clearance on all inlet valves down significantly on what I had last set them at (set at .25mm, down to about .15mm), clearance on exhaust valves was OK.

Compression down by 5 - 7 psi on all cylinders. I didn't think to recheck the compression after re-adjusting the tappets. Could the lesser compression be a factor of the shorter open time for the inlet valves with tight tappets?

I'm going back on leaded.

Regards,
Bob Hutton