Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Stag 2 part soft top

Come on gang,

I have Rimmer sufficently interested in the concept of a 2 part soft top
to at least discuss the matter.

Before they will take the idea to their soft top maker, they need two
things:

1) An indication that there is a demand.

2) Some reasonable engineering specifications.

I need some help with this.  To participate, you need:

1) A copy of the Leyland parts diagram that lists the parts numbers for
the frame.

2) Experience with restoring the frame or installing a new hood.

OR

3) A complete, uncovered frame.

Essential Goals:To design a system that:

1) makes no irrevesable alterations to the frame.

2) uses as much of the existing logic of the system as possible.

3) is no more difficult to erect than the original.

4) is just as watertight as the original.

Concept:  A frame/top system that works like a Surry top.  The rear seat
is covered by a frame/top that terminates at the roll bar.  The foreward
seats can be covered by the appropriate bits of frame/top that readily
engage the rear bits.  It all stows into the top well as per standard.
As does the foreward bit when the rear is in place.

Now I've investigated this sufficently to be certain that it is all
quite manageable.  I am working up a separate posting with details, but
first I would like to see some interest develope.  And I would like to
enter into conversation with several of you who have a modicum of
mechanical skills, and would like to take part in brining this project
foreward.

Kevin Harrop
'73 Stag w/ Datsun Z motor
Los Angeles