Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Need some Stag help

Vito Pacione wrote:

> I am looking for the wiring harness connector on a late model Stag (73)
> that connects to the brake pressure warning switch.

Check with Moss, TRF, and Victoria British in the US.  The connector is
the same as those used on TR4A, TR250, TR5, TR6, most all of the sedans,
Spitfires, TR7's, as this valve/switch combination is popular on many
Triumph models.

> Also, I understand that you have to "centralize" the pressure switch. It
> says you have to do this to the opposite axle from where the switch has
> moved to.

	This is true, you have to centralize the switch after it has shifted.
Sometimes bleeding does not center the switch, and you need to remove
the contact switch from the PDWA block and recenter it using a small
screw driver.  It has a detent to hold it in position once the piston
shifts.  However, the "o" rings do go bad in the PDWA, so you might want
to rebuild it or replace it if there is fluid in the switch area when
you remove it from the valve body.

>My rear brakes seem to have locked up. I assume that the switch
> has also done its lockout thing and that I have to bleed the front brakes
> to reset it?

I don't believe it is the PDWA unit that is locking up the brakes. Its
only function in life is to move a shuttle pin to touch a switch and
light a light.   The brake shoe pins have may have fallen out, or
something in the drums is latched or fallen out of place locking up the
drums, like the hand brake levers.  You will need to disassemble the
rear drums to find the fault.  You can release the lever mechanism using
a small screw driver, but unless you have seen the inside of the drums
and ratchet mechanism, it will be hit or miss.  Locheed hydraulics have
problem holding pressure on old systems, not releasing it!!

> How sensitive is this process? Has anyone done this and have anything I
> should watch out for as well as maybe a better explanation than exists in
> the manual. I'm kind of confused...

Watch out for mixing fluids in the brake system.  Most of the seals were
natural rubber that is attacked by mixing US DOT brake fluids.  Always
use Castrol Stirling or Silicone brake fluids ONLY.  DO NOT LET THE
LOCAL OIL CHANGE SHOP TOP UP YOUR BRAKE FLUID, do it yourself with the
proper fluid.
	If you feel that you are out of your element, pay the money to have a
professional repair the brakes.  This is one area that you do not need
to be a novice in, no brakes is serious and dangerous.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Glenn Merrell
'73 Mark II Stag