Stag/Stag Digest Archive

"CLASSIC CARS, thoroughbred &"

The Nov issue of this Brit publication has an interesting article on the
Stag, page 86.

Though Initially complimentory, the article also covers the warts we
know so well, mentioning
cost-cutting in the aluminum specs for the cylinder heads and the
attendant corrosion/silt
problems effecting the cooling system. Other problems and virtues are
observed including the engine sound which, when working properly, is
"one of the best V-8 burblers ever".

Further discussion of the cooling problem states that the silting -up,
caused by the shortage of
corrosion inhibitors in the coolent, reduces the flow around the back of
the heads and causes overheating followed by warped heads.

Of particular interest is the following: "Very early Stags had a high
temperature warning light for the back of one head, but Triumph deleted
it after being deluged by owners worried about it coming on; Triumph
claimed the sender was unreliable and advised dealers to disconnect it".

This sending unit is mentioned in my Parts Cat.
and I've been wondering about it since I bought my Stag (LE 7835) in
1975. The part was 154382 (Stanpart) fitted up to LF 13344E, or so it
appears to me. Is anyone familiar with this provision?  It appears on
page 02-23 (this will vary) of my manual and concerns Water elbow
thermostat transfer plate and temperature transmitter.

I'd always thought to jury-rig this into that bright Hazard Warning
Light (with a siren) providing a bullet-proof overheat warning. I
didn't.

In retrospect, it seems this early system should have been perfected
rather than discontinued.
Perhaps it still could.
 Chuck, Alameda, Calif.