Italian Cars/Italian Cars Digest Archive

Engine fires, BiTurbo and NoTurbo.

>In the very few cases I have heard of where a Biturbo caught fire, the
>cause in 100% of cases was poor maintenance. There is a lesson in there
>for all of us - whatever we drive.
>

>George Perfect

Well said George.
Some BiTurbos are now rounding the 15 year mark, and original fuel hoses,
breather hoses and the like will not be in very good shape. This will be
the case whether it's a 1000-miler or a well used one. So, it may be a
good idea to replace those items whether they have caused problems or
not. And based not upon the brand of car, but it's age. Do it even if
your car have not reached this age yet. Check for hard rubber, cracks,
kinks and rubbing against other components at least once each year.
Especially since work done to the engine may have resulted in those
hoses or nearby items not being in their intended positions and lengths.

I did such a check on my newly acquired 1986 GTV 2.0 some days ago, and
the list is simply a complete list of all fuel hoses on the car.
They (and many other hoses) should have been replaced long ago.

On the BiTurbo the oil return hoses from the turbos are located such
that they are not easy to inspect. (under the turbos) Make sure you
take the trouble of doing so anyway.

einarp@domain.elided  ( Maserati Biturbo Spyder, Alfa GTV )