Italian Cars/Italian Cars Digest Archive

Biturbo fires

Another source of fires, which I heard from a reliable source -- an
independent mechanic who works almost exclusively on Masers and Ferraris --
is the manual choke. Allegedly, leaving the choke on when the engine is
warm, particularly while idling and stationary, can cause a fire. I believe
mine had a sticker warning about this. The carbed Biturbos are among the
last cars sold in our galaxy with manual chokes. Some owners may have not
ever owned any previous car with a choke, considering that even American
cars were beginning to use automatic chokes thirty years before the first
Biturbo was sold here. So, drivers forget to push in the choke soon enough,
or at all.

Paul Rollins
Vancouver, WA