Italian Cars/Italian Cars Digest Archive

Wheel Studs

>Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 19:45:49 EST
>From: Gemery <Gemery@domain.elided>
>Subject: Stud Conversion
>
>What a straight-line for a subject!
>
>So who has converted their Fiat/Lancia wheel bolts to studs?  Who has kits?
>And who have done their own with all-thread cut to size?  What pitfalls should
>I avoid?

I've made this conversion on my Scorpions and 124 Spiders.  I originally did this in order to mount
Maserati Bi-Turbo wheels on a Scorpion.  These wheels require an extra-long bolt or stud.  In all cases I
ordered custom sized studs from Wheel-Adapters in Rosemead, CA, (818)572-0938.  Cost was about $3.00 per
stud plus $0.75 for the nuts.  To install, I thoroughly cleaned the threads and holes in the hubs with
brake cleaner and compressed air.  Then, using red loctite, I threaded the studs in until they just
protruded out the back.  I then tightened a standard 12x1.5mm nut down against the hub and left it until
the loctite set.  This helped to cinch the threads tight.  I've never had any problems with the studs
backing out.  However, the P.O. of my '79 Spider had changed to some aftermarket studs that are installed
via an allen wrench insert in the stud's end.  One afternoon while driving home from LAX on the infamous
405 freeway during rush hour, my wife lost the right front Panasport while doing 65!  Needless to say, I
immediately replaced those studs with the ones from Wheel-Adapters.

Mark Rawlings