Italian Cars/Italian Cars Digest Archive

re: X1/9 springs 'n things

Phil DeLuca asked:
> Having recently acquired an X1/9, I would like to know if there is a way
> to determine if new, or heavier, springs are needed. When I view the car
> from the back, the bottom of the rear tires are farther apart than the
> top of the tires. this seems a bit strange to me, since with a driver
> and passenger they will increase the separation at the bottom. Is there
> a way to check the condition of the springs without removing the springs
> from the vehicle?

Phil, this is normal. It may seem wrong, but it's not. You have to
remember that the rear suspension on an 'X' is virtually a stationary
front suspension from the fwd 128 model. This is part of the alignment,
designed to exploit the virtues of the mid-engine design. Alignment of
all four wheels on an X1/9 is important, so you may want to have it
checked by a reliable source. This camber situation is altered by where
the strut assy. with spring attaches to the knuckle that houses the
wheel bearing and thus the wheel. The spring itself has absolutely
nothing to do with the angle; springs only support the vehicle's ride
height. Thus, there is nothing wrong with your springs.

You'll see the same condition on other cars with independent rear
suspensions, like old Escorts and Beetles.

I'm sure others will respond with more technical explanations, but the
gist of it is, everything's okay :)

Dwight Varnes
1970 124 Spider
remove first 'x' in return address to reply