Italian Cars/Italian Cars Digest Archive

Paint removal from plastic

Int the digest #24, Damon Kane wrote:

- Dan Roach asked about overspray on plastic trim.

- Dan, I've tried and it seems nearly imossible to get paint off plastic
- without damaging the finish.

I have it on very good authority (haven't actually tried it yet, but I
intend to) that a lye-based spray-on oven cleaner will take paint off of
most plastics with no damage to the material, and is used extensively
for that purpose by people who restore old plastic models. (FYI, it's
also the best way to get cruddy buildup off the outsides of cast-iron
pans and skillets.)

Strikes me that it would be cheap and easy to try it on a small area..

Will Owen