Italian Cars/Italian Cars Digest Archive

RE:foggy X1/9 consol

TURN SIX <TURNSIX@domain.elided> wrote:

>I've got a spare X1/9 instrument panel with a foggy plastic cover (looks like
>mildew).  Tried soap and water, windex and other diluted household cleaners.
>Any other advise on removing this stuff and not destroying visibility?

Eastwood company sells just what your looking for. It's a special buffing
wheel for polishing plastic stuff. I use an old washing machine motor.

I brought some old Fiat plastic center caps (Cromodora alloy or mag rims)
back to life using a regular Black & Decker polishing felt disk and that red
stuff (jeweler's rouge?). You got to be careful using this method or you'll
score them. They were all crusty at first but look like new now.

If it's not worth 15 dollars for the kit, you can try using some really fine
#0000 steel wool to remove the crusty stuff, then go over it with something
like Bon Ami and water (an excellent compound for enamel paint which I have
used before), then use some clearcoat polishing compound to finish the job.

Just a suggestion. Use at your own risk!

James Seabolt -----> mailto:jseabolt@domain.elided
Webpage: http://pages.preferred.com/~jseabolt

United States

1980 FIAT 2000 Spider (injected)