Italian Cars/Italian Cars Digest Archive

Re: Fiat 124 Coil Upgrade

Dwight Varnes <mxbreed@domain.elided>

>Somebody whose name I inadvertently clipped wrote:
>Any suggestions as to a higher performance coil for a '74 124 Spider?  I
>have the Crane base electronic ignition (no more points)and had a Bosch
>"blue" coil, which I just replaced with a Accel performance coil (their
>upgraded, supposedly, coil but not a racing coil.)  Any suggestions,
>does it really make a difference, etc.?  Thanks, all.
>
>The Bosch blue coil is plenty fine for stock or near stock engines. The
>Accel stuff is (sorry) a waste of $$$ IMHO. I spent several years behind
>the counter of a speed shop and was seriously unimpressed with pretty
>much anything Accel made, except perhaps the big yellow Super Coil. I
>think there's far more to be gained from decent plugs and better wires.
>By using the Crane ignition you've already done the most important
>upgrade.

Just for the record, I've seen two separate occasions where those Bosch
"Blue coils" have caused problems. Both with the same symptoms. The cars
would run fine for awhile then the car would just die. Of course this was
probably a coincidence but it's funny that both of these cars were X 1/9s,
both had Bosch blue coils and both would die when the coils got hot. Either
both coils were just plain bad, they don't like hot places like the engine
compartments of X 1/9s or something else was the cause.

I don't want to steer anybody away from these, but I am wondering if anybody
else has ever experienced any problems from Bosch blue coils.

The Marelli coil on my Spider has a big dent in the side of it. I know the
internals are probably damaged but after 18 years it still works!

I've seen several Spiders using an ordinary A/C delco ignition coil and run
just fine! Hey Chris!

As far as Accel products goes, I can say that their 8mm plug wires are a
good deal. I got the $10 "make them yourself" V8 kit and made one set for my
Spider and used what was leftover on my Father's tractor.

James Seabolt -----> mailto:jseabolt@domain.elided
Webpage: http://pages.preferred.com/~jseabolt

United States

1980 FIAT 2000 Spider (injected)